Hello SErs. Harmony here! I hope this finds you all well.
I recently started to Beta test a new software programme that discovers illegal download sites for your book(s). This has been an eye-opener for me, and I wanted to share some of that with you today.
When you feel lucky to sell 1 or 2 books a month, how would you feel if you discovered that on just ONE illegal download site alone more than 5,000 illegal copies of just ONE of your books had been done? And then you see that tens of sites for EACH of your books show the same sorry tale? What, if anything, can you do about it?
At first, I felt heartbroken. What’s the point in ever publishing another word? The irony is that all of my books are available to borrow FREE via Amazon Kindle Unlimited. With this, you can read an UNLIMITED number of books for just 7.99 a month. I mean, why steal????
I came so close to deleting all my books and website/blog, etc. It felt like they hadn’t just stolen my books but my heart and soul. Worse still, I haven’t even garnered reviews from this theft.
I’m still at an impasse with continuing to write and publish, and I hope that I will get through this hump soon. In the meantime, thanks to this new software, I have a way to fight back.
It isn’t open to the public yet, and I don’t know what it will cost when it is released, but for certain, the Beta testing stage looks promising.
The programme is called Blasty, and it is open to requests to become a Beta tester. Before I tell you how it works, I’d like to make you aware, though, that it does have some issues at this stage …
- It can take a while to get your illegal content removed from the offending sites (perhaps up to a week).
- The scanning stage doesn’t always work or can take a looooooong time.
- You have to enter some sites to review them manually, and this can open you up to viruses.
- You can auto add all your books from your Amazon author page … how cool is that?
- You can whitelist URL’s when you set up your account.
- You can set an ‘auto blast’ that will automatically ‘blast’ (remove the illegal content from) obviously offending websites without you having to review them manually.
- You can create a blacklist of sites that are repeat offenders.
When it goes live, I plan to share a post with you on how it works, etc. So, watch this space!
At the moment, I am trying to do a blast run once a week. Who knows, maybe this will keep on top of this huge problem.
Now, I need to say that I am in no way an affiliate for Blasty, and receive no benefit from posting about it here. I simply want to share something that I feel may be helpful to my fellow writers.
For those interested, here is the sign up URL for the Beta: https://blasty.co/
And if they do ask you how you heard of them, feel free to name drop for me! lols. Who knows, that might go somewhere too! wink wink